4O'Sullivan, T. (Tadhg) F. Romantic Hidden Kerry. Tralee: Kerryman, 1931.
A "keeler" is a vessel used for storing milk, from cilorn, meaning "cooler." Cuppage describes this stone thusly: "A multiple bullaun stone consisting of a large irregularly-shaped boulder, 2.41m x 2.54m x at least .34m high, with 7 depressions in its upper surface. These latter are irregular, oval or circular in shape and vary in size from .42m in diameter x .25m in depth to .22m in diameter x .04m in depth ." (Cuppage, Judith. Archaeological Survey of the Dingle Peninsula: a Description of the Field Antiquities of the Barony of Corca Dhuibhne from the Mesolithic Period to the 17. Century A.D. Ballyferriter: Oidhreacht Chorca Dhuibhne, 1986. 312.)
Another source names the stone "St Brendan's Keelers," and notes "...a reflection in the story about this magical cow of the female deities of supernatural plenty, such as Anu, earth mother and goddess of the Tuatha De Danainn." (MacDonogh, Steve. The Dingle Peninsula. Dingle, Co. Kerry, Ireland: Brandon, 2000. 184.)
A 1959 journal article (quoting from An Seabhac, Trioeha CĂ©ad Chorea Dhuibhne. p. 117) notes that "keelers stones" may also be known as "beistĂ­' (milk-tubs). The local people say that the legendary cow, the Glas Ghaibhneach, was milked into the basins by the monks." (Price, Liam. "Rock-Basins, or 'Bullauns', at Glendalough and Elsewhere." The Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 89.2 (1959): 161-88.)
A perhaps less authentic source connects the magical cow to the warriors of Fionn Mac Cumhaill : "The miraculous cow at Kilmelchedor is said to have deposited her milk in these basins each day, in such an abundance as to supply Fin-MacCuile and his army." (Keane, Marcu. The Towers and Temples of Ancient Ireland. Dublin: Hodges, Smith and Co. 1867. 340.)